B-5. How to Locate Repair Parts
a. When National Stock Number or Part Number is Not Known:
(1) First. Using the table of contents, determine the functional group or subfunctional group to
which the item belongs. This is necessary since figures are prepared for functional groups and
subfunctional groups, and listings are divided into the same groups.
(2) Second. Find the figure covering the functional group or subfunctional group to which the
(3) Third. Identify the item on the figure and note the item number of the item.
(4) Fourth. Refer to the Repair Parts List for the figure to find the line item entry for the item
number noted on the figure.
b. When National Stock Number or Part Number is Known.
(1) First. Using the Index of National Stock Numbers and Part Numbers, find the pertinent
National stock number or part number. The NSN index is in National Item Identification Number
(NIIN)* sequence. The part numbers in the Part Number index are listed in ascending alphanumeric
sequence. Both indexes cross-reference you to the illustration figure and item number of the item you
are looking for.
*The NIIN consists of the last 9 digits of the NSN (i.e., 5305-01-674-1467).
(2) Second. After finding the figure and item number, verify that the item is the one you are
looking for, then locate the item number in the repair parts list for the figure.