Do not open top deck door assemblies if air cleaner is open.
Damage to air cleaner door may result.
Open top deck door assemblies.
Loosen two hose clamps and slide hose back
off air cleaner exhaust manifold tube
(view A). Cover manifold and hose openings
to prevent entry of foreign matter.
Loosen clamp at air cleaner and air intake
hose, and remove hose from elbow
(view A). Cover elbow and hose openings to
prevent entry of foreign matter.
Steps (4) and (5) apply to right air cleaner. Step (6) applies
to left air cleaner.
Remove air cleaner manifold (para. 6-14e).
Disconnect fuel tank-to-air cleaner vent hose assembly from right side air cleaner
Disconnect final drive vent line from left air cleaner elbow (view C).
Steps (7) through (12) apply to both sides.
Loosen clamp at air cleaner outlet elbow and remove hose from elbow (view D).
Cover elbow and hose openings to prevent entry of foreign matter.
(8) Remove air cleaner fender skirt (TM 20-1). Close top deck grille doors.
(9) Attach lifting sling to three lifting eyes on the sides of the armor air cleaner
(10) R e m o v e six screws, 12 washers, and six nuts securing air cleaner housing to
outriggers (view E).
Up to three shim washers may be found between air cleaner
housing and outrigger at each mounting screw.
Take strain on sling and guide air cleaner box away from vehicle until air cleaner
air intake and outlet elbows are clear of hull openings (view F).
(12) Lift air cleaner housing clear and away from vehicle. Disconnect sling.
(1) Attach lifting sling to the three lifting eyes on the sides of air cleaner (view F).
(2) Lift housing and position over edge of track with air cleaner housing centrifugal
fan exhaust elbows toward front of vehicle and air intake elbow inboard.
(3) Move air cleaner housing i n t o position, guiding air intake and outlet elbows
through openings in hull.
Before tightening nuts, if a gap exists between air cleaner
housing and outrigger, use washers MS21200-10 (limit 3 at
each mounting bolt) as shims. F o r air cleaner fit and to
maintain clearance between VEDES manifold and hull deck.
(4) Install six screws, 12 washers, and six nuts to secure air cleaner housing to to
outriggers. Prime threaded surfaces with primer (item 8, appendix C) and apply
locking compound (item 3, appendix C). Install parts as indicated in view E.
Install screws from bottom. Tighten nuts to 85-95 lb.-ft. (115-129 N m).