2-4. Air Cleaner Filter Clog Indicator
The air cleaner filter clog indicator provides a visual means of determining when the air
cleaner filter element must be serviced without actually opening the air cleaner box and
i n s p e c t i n g the filter element. Two models of indicators are presently being used (fig. 2-
b. Checking. To determine if air filter element needs servicing.
Check indication on air restriction indicator.
Early Model - If red disk is visible, notify organizational maintenance.
Late Model-If reading is more than 25, notify organizational maintenance.
2-5. Engine Air Intake (Fig. 2-3).
During normal and water fording operations, the engine air intakes (view A) must be
p o s i t i o n e d to draw air from the crew compartment. During extreme cold or an NBC
a t t a c k alert, the engine air intakes must be reversed to draw air from the engine
compartment (para b below)
b. Reversal Procedure.
(1) Remove four screws and washers and cover (view A). A gasket is cemented to cover.
( 2 ) Remove six nuts and washers (view B).
( 3 ) Remove eight nuts and washers.
( 4 ) Remove intake from bulkhead.
(5) If gaskets and/or intake are damaged, notify organizational maintenance.
( 6 ) Position intake on flange studs with screen toward engine compartment.
(7) Install six nuts and washers on studs. (View C).
(8) Install eight nuts and washers on studs. (View D).
(9) Position cover on intake and install four screws and washers.