Ensure that turret lock Is engaged and vehicle master switch if off.
Ensure that wrecker boom and gun tubes are horizontally and laterally squared to prevent damage
to the tube, turret and other components.
Operators should be in both vehicles to keep brakes fully applied to prevent movement of either
vehicle while tube is being pushed out of battery.
(1) Using black paint, stencil a 1 inch by 6 Inch stripe on cannon tube 6 to 8 inches from the gun shield.
(2) With the improvised bracket attached to the wrecker boom as shown in figures 2-4 and 2-5, extend boom
until distance prescribed in tables 2-1 and 2-2 "Inches-distance to be extended" column, is reached. Retract boom and
allow gun to return to the in-battery position.
On M551/M551A1 vehicles only, the recoil mechanism must be at precharged pressure. Hand
pump (see TM 9-2350-230-10) will be used if gun-launcher fails to return to in-battery position.
(3) Repeat operation a minimum of three times to insure recoil slide area and seals are lubricated. For
M551/M55A1 vehicles, repeat operation a minimum of ten times. See paragraph 1-3b for frequency of exercising recoil
(4) Lubricate other areas according to the procedures outlined in paragraph 1-3e.
f. Exercise of 152-mm Gun/Launcher Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle M551 and M551A1.
When conditions (lack of space, etc.) deny conventional use of wrecker, an improvised harness may be fabricated and
used as follows:
Two men required.
(1) Obtain chain hoist, 1/2 ton capacity or equivalent.
(2) Obtain two gun shield lifting eye bolts.
(3) Fabricate or locally obtain two eye bolts 5/8 inch in diameter, eye opening 2 1/2 to 3 inches, and shaft length
4 to 4 1/2 inches. Appropriate washers and nuts are also required.
(4) Fabricate or locally obtain two steel rings 5/8 inch in diameter and 3 1/2 to 4 inches in circumference.
(5) Fabricate gun muzzle attachment (figure 2-6) as follows:
(a) Utilizing oak or similar hard wood block 12 inches long, 8 inches wide, and 4 inches thick, remove
approximately 1 inch of wood from one side except for a centered disk approximately 5 inches in diameter and 1inch high.
(b) Drill holes to accommodate eye bolts (step (3) above) at each end and centered approximately 2
inches from end of block. Insert eye bolts with bolt eye on side with raised deck.