j. M198 Howitzer (USMC only) Recoil Exerciser/Hydraulic Ram.
(1) Elevate or depress cannon tube to approximately zero mils.
(2) Assemble hydraulic ram support assembly on cannon tube.
(3) Connect the hydraulic ram support assembly to the cradle assembly with attaching hardware.
(4) Block out replenisher indicator rod by installing the replenisher indicator rod clamp on the indicator
(5) Connect hydraulic hose to the hydraulic ram support assembly and to either the hand or electric
operated hydraulic pump.
(6) Operate pump until the hydraulic ram is extended approximately 14 inches.
(7) Release hydraulic pressure, allowing the M45 recoil mechanism to return to battery.
(8) Repeat steps 6 and 7 two more times.
(9) Remove hydraulic ram support assembly and attaching parts from the cannon and cradle assembly.
(10) Remove the replenisher indicator rod clamp from the indicator rod guard.
(11) Return howitzer to the respective travel lock position prior to exercising the recoil mechanism.
2-2. Exercising Hydrospring Recoil Mechanisms.
(1) When exercising hydrospring recoil mechanisms with the oil pump M3, the replenisher is disconnected from
the recoil cylinder or cradle and must be exercised independently as outlined in para 2-2b below. Recoil Mechanisms
cannot be exercised through the replenisher when using oil pump M3.
*U.S. GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE: 1995 - 646-043/0090