Make sure the valve in purge pipe is closed and install liquid releasing tool with purge pipe into filing hole.
Do not permit cannon to slide more than one foot out-of-battery since self-elvation may result if
cannon slides beyond this point
(4) Elevate the howitzer sufficiently to allow cannon to slide out-of as additional fluid as released. Open the
valve allowing the fluid to drain into container. Close the valve. emit the cannon to slide out of battery one foot, then close
the valve. It may be necessary to use a pry bar to start the cannon to recoil.
(5) Level the cannon and remove the liquid releasing tool.
(6) Filter the fluid drained from the recoil mechanism into the oil pump M3 if it is considered suitable for reuse.
Install the proper fluid filling plug adapter into the filling hole and loosely attach the oil hose and oil pump. Operate the
pump slowly until the line is purged of air and tighten all connections. Continue pumping until the cannon returns to battery
and fluid reserve is established.
Make certain the oil pump is not allowed to become empty during operation to avoid pumping air
into the system.
(7) To exercise the floating piston pump, add 50 strokes into the recoil mechanism for the 105-mm howitzer M101 and
M101A1. Add 100 strokes for the 155-mm howitzer M114 series and for the 8-inch howitzer M115.
(8) Repeat the above procedure two more times, the establish the correct fluid reserve according to the
pertinent technical manual.
(9) Close the trails and return the weapon to its original condition.
i. Movement of Cannon Battery to Retracting Position/Retracted to Battery Position (Howitzer M110A2 Only).
(1) Movement of the cannon from the battery position to the retracted position or from the retracted position to
the battery position as outlined in TM 9-2350-304 10 will exercise the recoil rod piston, conterrecoil rod piston, and related
stuffing boxes; however, this method will not exercise the floating piston in recuperator cylinder.
(2) In the event the pistons and stuffing boxes of the recoil and counterrecoil rods are exercised by movement
of the cannon, with the control handle in the retract or return position, the following methods can be used to exercise the
floating piston and establish the correct reserve in the recuperator cylinder:
(a) Use of the hand operated hydraulic pump:
1. Return weapon to battery position and place retractor control valve handle in HOLD position.
2. Close the accumulator shut-off valve.
3. Place retractor valve handle in RETURN position and hold.
4. Use hand pump until index pin starts to move. (Hand pump is double action so movement of handle
in one direction is one stroke).
5. Count the strokes until pin has been fully extended (0.20 inch).